Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Race recap - G.R.A. 5K/10K - July 2017

I realized over the weekend that I am ALWAYS reading other people's race recaps, so why not start documenting my own? So here's how it will work! I will give highlights of a race as well as some suggestions for future improvement and tips that will help me should I repeat a stop on the race circuit in 2018!

I'll award starts for the following categories:
Scenery
Organized
Swag
Bathroom availability
Extras (including post-race snacks, water stations, parking, route marked properly, spectators if applicable, etc.)

So let's get started!

Today's review will cover the GRA 5/10K in Grayling, Michigan.
I chose to run the 10K, my stepdad completed the 5K. The start time was perfect at 9am but we did start about 10 minutes late due to some issues with runner bibs not matching up to chips. An understandable delay that everyone wanted to see properly worked out, so no grumbling there. The 5K did a loop through town and back to the start line at the Hanson Hills Recreation Area. The 10K first went south on Military Road all the way to Camp Grayling, looped through their circle drive at the entrance (big plus for the guys in uniform with large guns making me feel extra safe!) and then routed back to pick up the 5K route for the remainder of the race. It was very "northern Michigan" feeling with a lot of green and trees, but not much shade. There was one water station that I recall and that was on the 5K route so I was glad I carried my own because it was hot!

A note about this race: the race coinides with the Au Sable River Marathon (canoe race) so it drew some out of town participants. If the National Guard or Army is training at Camp the same weekend, there will be a considerable amount of military vehicles rumbling up behind runners on several long stretches of the race. This was both amazing and frightening.The tanks and trucks are loud and are loaded with men in uniform and artillery, It's not for the faint at heart! It was awesome though to wave to those guys and think that I can run in this great country because of our brave men and women in the military.

The race is organized by local teachers (I believe) and they did a nice job. We were able to register the week of via mail with no issues. Check in was organized and ran smoothly. They had just enough race volunteers that I never felt lost when the route would change direction. Finish line results were available quickly and they announced awards in a timely fashion. I was also able to get a race route map from the director before the race which I really appreciated.

We got cool tees for participating and medals were awarded to the top three total for the 5K and top three in each age group for the 10K. A little unusual that more awards weren't given in the 5K but the entry fee was cheap so it wasn't a big deal. They did have bananas at the finish and bottled water. An extra star for the cute Girl Scouts that not only worked the water station and cheered for racers but also waited at the end to sell finishers their famous cookies. Cute.

There were two Port-a-Johns available at the start and bathrooms inside the building where registration was. I never had to wait so that was a bonus too. Parking was ample and close to the start.

All in all, it was our first time and we really enjoyed this race. I would love to see more medals next year (finisher medals would be awesome!) but we'd run it again.

Scenery            4
Organized        4
Swag                3
Bathrooms       4
Extras               4    
(including parking, route marked properly, spectators if applicable, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment