Monday, June 12, 2017

The final countdown!

Yikes... I pushed too much with Old Girl this weekend. I was committed to getting five miles in on Saturday before it got too hot. Old Girl and I set out at 9am and I figured we'd be fine. I was taking it slow and kept telling myself that I was going for distance, not speed. It's a good mantra.

About 2.5 miles she slowed down a little. I thought that was her signaling she needed a drink so I ran down to the lake and let her get a drink.

At the 3m mark she was behind me, and I was careful to run in the shady spots on the road. Still not enough. I used Siri to text Hubs to tell him to come and get her, and gave him my location. He showed up when we hit 3.5m and she was ready to get in the car.

I finished my 5 miles literally at the end of our dock. I think the water temp is still in the mid-60s but I didn't care and I got in up to my waist. I figured it was the equivalent of icing my legs. I felt pretty good but when I walked home they said the dog was about passed out on the floor. I felt horrible. No more runs for her unless they'll be under 3 miles and the sun is not out yet. Too hot for an old, black dog.

I plan to do 2-3 miles today, tomorrow, and Wednesday. I'll likely walk on Thursday and take Friday off completely. We'll see how D-day goes on Saturday!!! Fingers crossed no one has to drag me across the finish line.

Distance over speed...

In other news, I've been using my new compression socks for post-running relief. Here they are:
They are custom-made to fit each leg and do seem to help with my horrid vein disease and run recovery. My shins have felt better too. Tough to get on, but that means they're working, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment