Friday, July 15, 2016

Day 12 - July 13

Woke up this morning and felt a sharp pain in my calf. Remembered the only downside to yesterday was the errant chair injury. A big anti-gravity chair fell on my leg when I had walked by it in the garage. The resulting bruise and lump were quite painful and causing me to limp like a fool. No running today!

My mom's two friends were on their way for the day and I was the self-designated lunch sous chef. I love to cook when I have time!  I made Mexican Street Corn Salad to eat with tortilla chips

And my favorite recipe for Cherry Chicken Salad

Which is good in a wrap, on thick bread, in lettuce cups, or on a croissant.  Today it was made with even more love; since I had time I grilled all the chicken which makes it taste awesome.  I also added crushed pineapple and raw chopped pecans. Mmmmm. Both dishes were a hit. And my mom was afraid they wouldn't like my dishes!

After lunch when the ladies were mostly caught up, I suggested a boat ride.  My mom looked at me like I had bats coming out of my mouth!  I knew she was nervous because usually the captain is J, and if anyone helps it's my stepdad.  I used to co-captain but ever since H came along and then we were blessed enough for the association dock upgrade, I don't do much to help with the boat. But, if there is anything these past few months have taught me (or reminded me), it's that I am strong enough, I am good enough, and dammit people like me.  Or at least in this situation I am perfectly capable of getting this boat out myself.

Step one, remember the hoist lock and boat keys. Check! Got the cover off (where the h does he store that anyway!?!) and got it lowered. It was at this point I realized that the waves were coming in strong. Great. I got everyone on and decided to be safe I needed to jump in and manually walk he boat off the hoist and away from our neighbors' boats. Easier said than done--those waves were powerful!!  

I finally got us out and on our way for a tour of the south shores.  It was beautiful and just a bit breezy on the south end.  We enjoyed our time on the water.  When it was time to head in, things got crazy.  The waves were awful when we rounded Flag Point. We were taking on water every other wave; my passengers were bouncing around like wine corks. No one let on if they were nervous as I tried to navigate us through the rough wake and back to our dock.  I had no chance to get us onto the hoist so I killed the engine, jumped off the boat, and attempted to pull the boat toward our dock. It dragged me along until I finally by chance got it onto the hoist; man were my arms and shoulders 
sore!!  I only yelled one obscenity so that was a victory for me. Everyone agreed we had a lovely 
time.  

We had dinner at a local restaurant and then Dairy Queen for dessert.  We played progressive gin (I think) after we got home which had a few crazy rules I hadn't heard before.  It was a fun day full of laughter. Not bad for a Wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment