Monday, July 25, 2016

Day 22 - July 23 - Party #1

Saturday is party day!  Today is the first of H's two fifth birthday parties.  Turning five is BIG. DEAL.

Our family from FL had H overnight so we had some time to work before the party.  J decided it was the perfect time to start taking down tree limbs. This sounded like a horrible idea to me, so I stood nervously behind bigger trees a ways away and watched with my breath held.  Thankfully no injuries, but we were behind with my pre-party stops I needed to make.  When I plan an  event, no matter what the size, I get a vision in my head and it MUST LOOK EXACTLY RIGHT or I feel like I've failed.   Not a great way to operate but that's me.  I wanted to get balloon bouquets for the table and a plastic table cloth, and  pick up the cake.  We managed to get all this done and walk in with my aunt, who was gracious enough to jump right in to help me with setting up the private room I had reserved.  I also had to fill the bags I brought with birthday popcorn, which was the 'party favor' for our adult guests.  She was very helpful and moments before the birthday boy showed up, the room was ready to go.

We ordered amazing pizzas (lobster and asparagus, anyone?) and breadsticks, and the cake was out of this world. 

H had the best time opening his gifts and he received some wonderful activity-game type gifts instead of toys, which made me super happy.  He has toys, toys, and more toys and we're still having an invite-his-class party in a few weeks!  My favorite gifts he got were a marble run set, cornhole (which we left at the cottage, it was a perfect set for putting up and taking down easily), and a 'backyard explorers' kit, which is great since we've been catching fireflies at night in Grandma's yard.

He was so funny too--he opened a spelling game and exclaimed, "OH great!  I've wanted this for years!!"  He was also creatively photobombing the pics we were taking and  by then we were all hysterically laughing.  That kid of ours is awesome.  When it was over, H told me it was the best party ever.  J told me I am awesome at parties and planning and making things happen.  Thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment