Friday, July 15, 2016

Day 13 - July 14

Bastille Day!  And my college roommate/friend's birthday. Happy birthday, Shana! It's the only way I can ever remember her big day.

Today meant clean up and pack up for the long cross-state drive to J's family's cottage near Lake Michigan. My mom was also leaving the cottage so I helped her take out trash and recycling and put the deck furniture away. We had such a great time together that I was sad to leave. I chose the interesting route apparently to drive over--villages like Big Jackson, Bitely, and Merritt I can now cross off my list of must-see places.  Turns out small places also don't have public restrooms. On a three hour drive, that is a problem. I finally found a park with an outdoor bathroom and I didn't care that there was no running water to wash my hands with. I have wipes and hand sanitizer in my car always so I was set. 

It took almost three hours to make that trip so I was happy to get out of the car when I finally made it. I sure missed my kid!  His hugs are the best.  He and his two cousins were wound up and ready to go ride the go karts in town.  Considering my leg was still sore and getting worse from so much drive time, I volunteered to hold everything and take pictures.  The kids had a great time on the go karts and after that they had tokens to use in the arcade. It was fun to watch them play ski-ball and other childhood favorites of mine.

After dinner the kids talked J into going down to the dock to help them fish.  It was fun to watch them impatiently yank at their bobbers just to find their worms had been stolen.  It was a nice day in northern Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment