Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Day Three - July 4 - Happy Birthday, America!

Freedom isn't free...

Today I am thankful for every veteran and active military member we have that fight to keep our great country safe.  I am also grateful for their families that make such a sacrifice.  I appreciate those who lost their lives all over the world while wearing red, white and blue.  I am trying to teach H that there are children that live in places that are violent and scary, where they can't play outside, or go to school, or sleep without hearing fighting all night.  We are so fortunate to live in a safe country where we choose what we do every day and the government for the most part allows us to live our lives.

We were able to have our friends over a few nights ago and watching the kids do sparklers reminded me of my own childhood.  Sparklers were my favorite to do with my friends that grew up across the street from me.  We would go through box after box, lighting them off a candle, writing our names in the air, throwing them down the street (usually a mom put a stop to that pretty quickly) and running around our houses to see how many laps we'd make before that wire would fizzle out.  Morning Glories were such a treat and now I don't even see those in the store anymore.  Regardless, sparklers are such a simple childhood pleasure that I'm happy to see my own kid enjoy.

This was also the first year that we let H stay up to watch the fireworks down at the lake.  There is nothing like sitting on the beach with our neighbors and watching dazzling displays all around us along the shoreline.  It really is quite magical and H seemed to really enjoy it this year.

We return to basement dwelling today but it was great to spend three nights in the king size bed at the cottage!  And unfortunately for J, I did tease him that the only reason I was going back downstate was because he had to work; because it's not like I have a job!  He's a good sport about it and keeps reminding himself he has all of next week off.

No comments:

Post a Comment