Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day Five - July 6

What a productive day!  After H woke up, and proceeded to give me 101 reasons why he should not have to go to school (really?!??  It's ONE day out of the whole week, buddy!) we finally headed for EL around 10am.  I got a bright idea to stop to get his passport pics taken, but apparently with a minor, both parents must be present.  Noted. We'll try again next week.  We pretended it was Donut Thursday and stopped at Tim Horton's for H's usual order of one birthday cake timbit, and one chocolate.  The grand total comes to 53 cents.  At least we're consistent!  I dropped him off at school around 10:30am and I'm sure the staff was wondering why in the heck I brought him at all.

My first stop:  the Hallmark store.  Grandma turns 60 on Saturday and we needed cards!  I also checked out Gymboree for H but found nothing.  That store is so hit or miss.  Next, I drove to downtown Lansing to pick up H's bday party #1 invites that I created the day before.  They turned out adorable.  Now if only I could do design work on etsy.com and never return to work.  This Basement Dweller would be so happy!!

I realized I had time to make it to Mass at St. John's on campus, so I raced across town and focused on God for 30 minutes.  I did get a funny text from J--How was Mass?  I'm in mass too... mass chaos.  Sorry, Honey, I'm unemployed so I don't know what that's like today.  :)  Next I went to the mall to exchange some items I had gotten for my birthday.  I have no idea how strict the new job's dress code is, so even though I should've been shopping for me, I instead went to Old Navy and stocked up on H's uniform shirts (hunter and white) and also to Crazy 8 for his pajamas.  Finally, I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond for new pillows for J and I, as well as my favorite invention of all time, the Turbie Twist.  I've visited their website, and these women are geniuses.  This product is a small super absorbent terrycloth towel if you will, but it's cut to fit a woman's head and then twist up and tuck into a loop of elastic.  So simple and so effective.  I've been using one for over a year, and I knew I needed one at the cottage and one for travel. Crazy but great!  Kudos to them for such a fab product.

By now it was after 3pm and I was ready for some McAlister's tea so I stopped there (did I mention it was 86 and muggy as hell?) on my way to Capitol Lighting.  We hadn't taken the time to pick out our lights yet since the house construction seemed to be at a standstill.  We got a gentle reminder from the builder (thanks, Jodie!) to get going on that so we don't hold up the process at all.  She suggested we meet with Jenny at the store, and I got there early to try to narrow it down a bit.  Holy smokes, horribly overwhelming at first glance!!!!  The store is not really that big, and there are fixtures dangling from every inch of the ceiling.  I instantly felt anxious and I was afraid this appointment would take three hours!  Jenny was great though, and as I showed her a few things I liked, she was able to point out certain fixtures that were similar to my style.  By the time J got there, I was ready to see what he chose and excitedly would yell, "YES!!" when he picked out some of the exact fixtures that made my short list.  I told her we would agree for the most part, and we totally did. I think my dining room fixture is my favorite as well, which is good, since it's a centerpiece of our new home!  I also love the outdoor lights (which we needed five!!  Three for the garage, and then the smaller version of the same for the porch and back deck).  J will purchase our fans separately for the great room and our master and install those himself.  We haven't bought those yet.  The best part is that we only went about $500 over our lighting allowance from the builder.  Awesome! All in all it was a really good experience. 

We picked H up and had dinner at home and then headed for ice cream at CZ before going to watch our cousin's baseball game.  H had a great time at the game cheering for him and the whole team.  I can totally see now why people are obsessed with America's greatest pastime and why they spend evenings and weekends at the ball fields.  It is a pretty great environment and we had a lot of fun.  I know we have to start somewhere, but I will be grateful as we transcend the levels and get past the not-so-exciting world of t-ball!

While I do not miss 'my former company', I do miss the people, and I was happy to text with a few of them during the day.  I also smiled to read "this place isn't the same without you".  Who doesn't like to be missed!  This week is flying by...

No comments:

Post a Comment